about applying mame updates

Get help with running Romcenter 3 here. Please do not post roms requests or illegal links, posts will be deleted.

Moderator: Wanderer

Forum rules
No roms requests or illegal links

about applying mame updates

Post by Guest »

my current mame set is .80. i am downloading all of the updates to get to .87. how do i apply these updates?

Ad_Enuff
Puzzle bobble
Puzzle bobble

Re: about applying mame updates

Post by Ad_Enuff »

Anonymous wrote:my current mame set is .80. i am downloading all of the updates to get to .87. how do i apply these updates?
Hmmm to be honest the best way and fastest way to integrate roms into one from multiple sources is to use clrMAMEpro and use the REBUILD function.

As far as I am aware its rather slow cack handed to do it in RC.

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

Put your zipped updates into your rom folder, load the .87 mame datafile, select the rom folder in romcenter and click fix.
Eric - RomCenter developer
Report bugs here.

gavnook

Post by gavnook »

Wouldn't it cause problems to put the new zips in the old roms directory? I guess it would depend on how the updates are done, and I'm not sure how that is. Do rom updates contain a full romset per zip, all the unique roms, or just the updated ones? I hope that made sense.

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Post by Wanderer »

gavnook wrote:Wouldn't it cause problems to put the new zips in the old roms directory? I guess it would depend on how the updates are done, and I'm not sure how that is. Do rom updates contain a full romset per zip, all the unique roms, or just the updated ones? I hope that made sense.
I prefer to do it this way:

1. Have my old-mame-version roms in one dir (OLD).
2. Have my downloaded new-mame-version roms in another dir (NEW).
3. Move everything from NEW to OLD. When it asks to overwrite things i say NO (so all non-existent roms are moved from NEW to OLD but any existing roms are not overwritten and remain in NEW).
4. Open RC.
5. Create the datafile for the NEW version of MAME.
6. Select the datafile for the NEW version of MAME.
7. Add both OLD and NEW dirs in RC (only those two must be opened).
8. Select the OLD dir in RC and fix it.
9. Remove the NEW path from RC and from HDD.

I do it that way since when i started using RC and so far nothing has gone wrong.

Good luck.