suggestion regarding case sensitivity

Get help with running Romcenter 3 here. Please do not post roms requests or illegal links, posts will be deleted.

Moderator: Wanderer

Forum rules
No roms requests or illegal links
Venoman
PacMan
PacMan

suggestion regarding case sensitivity

Post by Venoman »

In preferences, Fix tab, sets box, you are able to specify the letter case you want to use for your roms/files: uppercase, lowercase, etc. This is very useful, and was a new feature to 2.62 if I remember correctly. But, here's the thing:

While running a fix on a rom (right-click, fix game) will name the file based on the case you specified (datafile case, etc), RomCenter will label roms as correct (green icon) REGARDLESS of whether the file case is what it's supposed to be. example:

RomCenter DAT has an entry for Super Mario (U).zip. In options, you specify that you want files to be named using datafile case. You have the file, but it is named super mario (u).zip. If it is included in your rom path, RomCenter labels it as a clean zip, with a green icon. If you right-click and choose fix game, RomCenter will correct the case discrepency for you. Of course (obviously), if you're hiding all green zips, right-click rom path and fix, the file is not corrected, since it isn't currently listed at all.

The problem here is that if you have a very large set, the likelihood of you noticing this case issue is very low. It seems to me that a mismatched file case should be treated the same as if the zip (or rom, or both) were named entirely incorrectly, and the zip should be given a yellow icon.

Lastly, the reason I bring this up is it DOES come up. Files sent through the chat client mIRC are, 99% of the time, automatically converted to lowercase, due to lazy scripting on the part of the mIRC file servers. This means people collecting a set that has a corresponding romcenter dat could end up with a whole folder of lowercase roms and not even realize it, since romcenter labels them all green-like.

Eric, is this something you'd consider implementing? Maybe only when using datafile case, or even a check box in the sets box in the fix tab, something like "label roms with bad case match as incorrect", or however that would be best phrased.

Sorry this ended up so verbose; thanks for reading!
-Venoman