lots of roms, lots of problems!

Get help with running Romcenter 3 here. Please do not post roms requests or illegal links, posts will be deleted.

Moderator: Wanderer

Forum rules
No roms requests or illegal links
moshacade

lots of roms, lots of problems!

Post by moshacade »

To all who can help:

I would consider myself a newbie, so any info that one may take for granted should probably not be left out of any replies.

System Specs:
Celeron 800
256MB RAM
20GB HD (7200rpm)
ATI Radeon 7200 (S-video out to 2?" Mitsubishi TV)
MAME (newest version as of 1/1/05)
Game Launcher (newest version as of 1/1/05)

I have approximatly 3500 roms, give or take a couple houndred. They are all placed in a folder named "roms" in my mame directory. I am using Game launcher (simply because i can not get arcade os to load). I have disabled the "auto list" option in game launcher so it scans my "roms" folder before each load (this is intentional as i plan on running the "MoshaCade" 24/7/365.

So, with that being said, here is the scoop: Game Launcher would only launch about 1 out of every 20 or so games (give or take 100!!), so i did a little googeling and found myself at romcenter.com (the website you are currently viewing) I have downloaded the romcenter app and datafile. Now what? I ran the scan, i ran the "select all" "fix", and i ran the "rezip" runction. I have currently about 3% of my games showing as a green color, about 25% as a RED color, and the rest in a grey color? What do these mean? What am i to do? Please help.

Thanks in advance: Edward

Ad_Enuff
Puzzle bobble
Puzzle bobble

Re: lots of roms, lots of problems!

Post by Ad_Enuff »

moshacade wrote:I have currently about 3% of my games showing as a green color, about 25% as a RED color, and the rest in a grey color? What do these mean? What am i to do? Please help.
I'm sorry to say anything not green or yellow in colour means the roms you have are completely incorrect and therefore are delete fodder. Grey means unrecognised roms ie crap and red means incomplete/missing and therefore won't run without the extra additional roms

You need to find a whole set of MAME 0.89 minimum to get you back up to date. Preferably 0.89u6 Intermediate........

There are easy ways to do this, but try Torrents first. Thats the best advice I can give you.

I can't go into more detail here due to forum rules. After all it verges on ROM begging.

eford8
Pong
Pong

Post by eford8 »

The romset that i have was given to me by a friend, it is almost 10 full CDs, which i'm assuming he received from either an individual or d/l
At one point in time i had this whole thing up and running just on a different system, the control panel (home made) and TV are the same. When it was runnning before, i had ArcadeOS as the Front End and I would say that more than 75% of the games ran. Now you see my quandry? They (this rom set) worked before, but now.... nothing..

Thanks for the input and additional would be greatful.

Edward

p.s. do you think it might be something to do with the nameing of the roms? They are all zipped and i have not switched any of their names, so i wonder if it is something that i am simply missing?

Ad_Enuff
Puzzle bobble
Puzzle bobble

Post by Ad_Enuff »

eford8 wrote:The romset that i have was given to me by a friend, it is almost 10 full CDs, which i'm assuming he received from either an individual or d/l
What version of MAME are they?
eford8 wrote:At one point in time i had this whole thing up and running just on a different system, the control panel (home made) and TV are the same. When it was runnning before, i had ArcadeOS as the Front End and I would say that more than 75% of the games ran. Now you see my quandry? They (this rom set) worked before, but now.... nothing..
MAME requires new ROM's each new intermediate/full release version and therefore just because you have roms on 10 CD's doesnt mean most of them are now valid using MAME 0.89/u6. As the MAMEdev find newer versions such as WORLD, EURO, JAP etc etc PCB's they are then reshuffled and the new roms are required. This happens all the time and must be kept up to date or you will have to go back the the version of MAME that your current roms are for for example MAME 0.75 or something like that.

Then you have more chance or all your roms that you have will work. But MAME 0.75 roms differ greatly to the ones you need for MAME 0.89 if you see what I mean.
eford8 wrote:do you think it might be something to do with the nameing of the roms? They are all zipped and i have not switched any of their names, so i wonder if it is something that i am simply missing?
If you fix and rename all your roms that you have now using RC most of your roms, assuming all your ROMS are very old, will leave you with nothing practically in terms of working romsets.

It really depends if your happy to play MAME with an older set of roms because all the ROMS you have are the ones you want to play? Or you want to keep up to date and benefit from newly added roms/games and bug fixes that each new Intermediate build provides and download a complete MAME 0.89u6 set via Torrent?

Remember MAME 0.89u6 Intermediate is the current latest build. In it contains a huge SEGA System 16, 18, 24 update to play many classics and of course Virtua Fighter and MODEL 3 games in the next full release (MAME 0.90 about to be released very very soon!).

By the sounds of what your saying, you have a very old set and needs a huge update to get you back if that is what you want to do.

Another thing to check is that you have the latest Romcenter 2.70 BETA and of course the latest DAT file in which to check and verify your roms found here: http://www.logiqx.com/