Request: Ability to remove clones of working Parent roms

Get help with running Romcenter 3 here. Please do not post roms requests or illegal links, posts will be deleted.

Moderator: Wanderer

Forum rules
No roms requests or illegal links
MrArcade

Request: Ability to remove clones of working Parent roms

Post by MrArcade »

First, RomCenter is a great utility. I have found it a great tool.

I have been trying to lower the size of my roms folder. I do not feel the need to have every possible version of every rom. Heck, it is unlikely I will ever play ALL the games playable by mame.

That being said, I have a request that I think many people would be interested in. Many of us would like to remove all redundant roms so we would end up with one playable version of each game. I realize that achieving this goal fully would probably be very complicated.

A great step would be the ability to move all clones of working games. After that step, it would not be too hard to list the clones remaining, select the doubles, and move them.

If there is already a way to do this please let me know! The best I can do so far is move all clones. Then I generated a list of over 600 non-working parents. At this point I would have to search to see if each non-working parent has a clone, check if the clone works, then move the working clone back. This would take a lot of time and effort.

If this request is not feasible please post that.

Induna
Pong
Pong

Post by Induna »

Is there a way to seperate parent roms (+ clones for non-working parent roms) from my entire collection using romcenter?

If not, is there any other apps that can do this?

Thanks.

emeric42

Post by emeric42 »

I am interested too in this kind of option and i am pretty sure it did exist in the past!

My problem is not the same but the solution is: it happens some time that speaking with colleagues or friends, they ask me to give them some roms from the gold ages, or all the capcom or sega old game. How the hell can i recognized which zipfile from my rom folder are up to the 83'? or the capcom one?
I also would like to divide my rom folder into Original and Clone to be able to only copy the Original folder on my laptop when I travel.

My wish:
- Integrate the basic Mame filters in RC: Original, Clone, Manufacturer, Year
- fix the selection option (it doesn't work in my RC version alpha4)
- add in the right click advanced menu:
copy to... dialog box
move to...dialog box
archive
delete

When you do this and fix the CHD recognition I will definitely run on my visa to make a donation :D

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

The only way I can think of right now is to build a 'main game only datfile'. Then, load this dat and move all recognized 'main roms' in a folder. This way, you will have separated main and clones roms.

RC 3.00 will include build in feature to achieve this. I'm actually trying to find a cool way to handle chd...
Eric - RomCenter developer
Report bugs here.

emeric42

Post by emeric42 »

Thanks!!! I am looking forward to see the results!
Thanks again

denzilla

Post by denzilla »

Why don't you just go into the options and change the romset to "un-merged"? This places all the files needed for a game revision to to operate into its zip, which will allow you to delete the revisions you don't want.