Bug Report: Path buffer too small!

Get help with running Romcenter 3 here. Please do not post roms requests or illegal links, posts will be deleted.

Moderator: Wanderer

Forum rules
No roms requests or illegal links
grotty74
Pong
Pong

Bug Report: Path buffer too small!

Post by grotty74 »

Yes ... the more advanced your file tree structure is, the longer the path will get. And I've just met the Romcenter upper buffer boundaries :twisted:

- open DOS prompt

- move to a partition you want, e. g. D:

- make a directory you want to have the junk in and cd to that directory:

- md rctest
- cd rctest

Use this script directly in DOS prompt:

Code: Select all

for /L %i in (1,1,13) do md emugames\emufiles\abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz\this\is\a\very\long\path\which\usually\would\not\exist\but\note\that\it\is\only\for\buffer\test%i
or cut 'n paste this script for a .BAT file:

Code: Select all

for /L %%i in (1,1,13) do md emugames\emufiles\abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz\this\is\a\very\long\path\which\usually\would\not\exist\but\note\that\it\is\only\for\buffer\test%%i

This will create a tree with 13 directories in an extremely deeply nested path tree structure.

Now a very awkward thing comes:
you have to add *ALL* of those paths to RC paths!!!

Sorry, but RC does not support recursion (yet).

Choose a DAT of your choice (you must choose a DAT but you need not find any file matches nor do you have to have actual files in)

Now add ALL of the paths you created to games paths.

EXIT AND RESTART RC.

Expected: All games paths are correctly added.
Actual: After about the 12th or 13th games path, RC will truncate the path and also complain about not finding "D:\rctest\emugames\emuf" or similar at startup.

Workaround: Use shorter paths for now. :P
(BTW this example has only been taken to extremes for convenience! Actually, I had 36 paths which were a lot shorter but do you want to input 36 paths when triggering the bug? See... 8))