2.71 error "The disk is read only" (device id)

Get help with running Romcenter 3 here. Please do not post roms requests or illegal links, posts will be deleted.

Moderator: Wanderer

Forum rules
No roms requests or illegal links
SFX Group
Street fighter II
Street fighter II

2.71 error "The disk is read only" (device id)

Post by SFX Group »

Hi, the above explains the whole problem.

None of the data folders are read only, none of the files, not the temp or program folder.

So why am i getting the above error.

Even if i select one game and "fix" get the above error before it even tries to fix anything???

Many Thanks
Ashley

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Post by Wanderer »

Hello

Each rom path is located on a disk (CD, HDD, Flash-disk, etc). For RC2, each connected disk on a PC has a unique ID which is stored in romcenter.ini along with the rom path at the moment you open it. If the rom path is on a removable disk then each time you reconnect it on the PC, it receives a different ID. When RC reads the disk's ID and finds that it does not match the ID stored in the INI file, it treats the specific rom path as read-only.

I use the following workaround:

- Open RC2
- Open a folder from the specific disk as rom path
- Close RC2
- Edit romcenter.ini and see what is the disk ID for the newly added rom path
- Copy it to all other rom paths that exist on the same disk
- Save romcenter.ini and reopen RC2

Example entry in romcenter.ini (the bold is the disk ID):

[Mame]
Exe=C:\Program Files\Mame\mame.exe
RomPaths=[54a5-8ef0][MyDisk]C:\Games\Roms\|

All paths should now be writable. I'm not sure if RC3 works that way (i hope not).

Post by Guest »

Hi

Fixed...

I did swap the whole hard drive (that had windows on as well) it was a bit to bit copy so nothing knew the change happend, however anything that logs IDs would, and this does...

Many Thanks
Ashley

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

Hi

To bad, Rc 3 works the same way... except it stores datas in db.
If I simply remove the id and only keep the name, does it solves the problem ?
Eric - RomCenter developer
Report bugs here.

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Post by Wanderer »

RomCenter wrote:If I simply remove the id and only keep the name, does it solves the problem ?
Hi Eric

Yes, it would probably make things simpler. I wonder, what's the reason for having this validation? In Windows you can assign fixed drive letters to removable disks so there is little chance of making a mistake. Isn't that validation too-much?

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

The main goal was to use a unique key to identify a device. Two cd can have the same name for example...
And if you use usb keys, they don't always have the same letter assigned.

Anyway, if it makes trouble, I will disable the device id check in version 3.
Report bugs here.

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Post by Wanderer »

I understand the general idea is to protect the user from making a mistake but if the user knows what he is doing (or think he does ;) ) then it complicates things. It could be enabled by default but have an ini option to disable it.

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

I added in rc3 an auto device detection and I write the device id in the message window. So each time a device is inserted or removed, I write the event and the device ID.
I didn't notice the fact you're reporting here. I added an usb key in different slots and I locked the usual usb drive letter so that the usb key get a new letter.
Each time I got the same device id.
This Id is attached to the device, not the pc so it is normal that I got each time the same Id, no matter if I use another pc, or a special port...

So, what's happening in your case ?
Did I miss something ?
Report bugs here.

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Post by Wanderer »

I don't know if the routine that gets the device id is different in RC3 than what it was in RC2. I should clarify here that i've noticed this behavior in RC2 (at least about 6 months ago). Specifically, i had a 3.5" HDD connected (using a removable tray) directly to the motherboard and i used the HDD in at least 2 different PCs. RC was installed on that disk so every time i executed it, it used the device id assigned to it by the first pc. :) As you can imagine, it wasn't very convenient...

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

If I post an update to romcenter.exe which displays the device id when inserted, do you have the possibility to do some test ?
Report bugs here.

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Post by Wanderer »

RomCenter wrote:If I post an update to romcenter.exe which displays the device id when inserted, do you have the possibility to do some test ?
Yes but i'll probably do them in the weekend.

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

Here is the wip romcenter.exewhich show the device id when you insert a device (simply replace the rc3a6 exe with this one).
Try to see if you get different id with a single device.
Thank you for your time.
Report bugs here.

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Post by Wanderer »

Hi Eric

I have not forgotten this, it just requires some time to re-setup the removable trays in both PCs (which i had removed) and do the test. Unfortunately i'm currently swamped by a zillion other things (you know, deadlines hunting me and other similar stuff) so this is probably something i will not be able to do very soon. I'll have it in mind though.

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

Ok, thank you. This is not so urgent.
This feature is enabled in the alpha 7.
Report bugs here.