RomCenter Usage Question for Newb

Get help with running Romcenter 3 here. Please do not post roms requests or illegal links, posts will be deleted.

Moderator: Wanderer

Forum rules
No roms requests or illegal links
wolfhound89
PacMan
PacMan

RomCenter Usage Question for Newb

Post by wolfhound89 »

I have finally resolved all my hardware issues with my MAME box and now I am ready to tackle the software issues.

I am running MAME 0.112 w/ CHD files and currently run them from the MAME32 interface. There is what I think is a higher than normal ROMs red flagged. I think that this is due to not having the ROM files / folders and CHDs filled correctly.

What is the most stable release of ROMCenter that would work for me?

Thanks in advance.

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

Go with the alpha 7. Although this is still an alpha, the repair and analyse engine is well tested (I tested on more than 7000 files (17GB)) and is fully supporting recent mame features.

As always, even with a final release, be sure to backup your roms before processing them.

Please report your results here.

Thanks
Eric - RomCenter developer
Report bugs here.

wolfhound89
PacMan
PacMan

Post by wolfhound89 »

Thanks. I have downloaded it and installed it.

Please excuse me for not knowing how the software works entirely.
It scanned my ROMs and it marked 200+ as red and all my CHDs as red.
How do I get the CHD files fixed so that they are in the same folder as the ROMs?

I am sorry that this is such a newbie type thread. I appreciate your work and help.

Also, can we post basic MAME related questions in your forum?

Cheers.

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

You're welcome to ask any questions.
Your files are zipped ?

You can see two main nodes in the list view (left):
- Datafile
- Rom Files

Datafile node report global status of every games in database.
Rom Files displays the real status of your rom files.

If you want to fix your files, you must go to the "Rom Files" node.
A red flag always means the file, or the game is not complete. You have to download the missing roms as they are not available anywhere.

Locate the folder with your CHD under the 'Rom Files' and look their status.

To fix a chd, or any file, select the file, or the folder and click the fix button. CHD are automatically moved to their place, in a folder.
Report bugs here.

wolfhound89
PacMan
PacMan

Post by wolfhound89 »

Thanks for the reply.

While I was waiting for a reply I started to poke around Romcenter.
I selected fix but can't be sure if I directed to the entire ROM folder or one particular ROM zip file. Anyway, my CHD folder no longer exists. I am thinking that it moved all the CHD files to their proper location.

I am not concerned as I have everything backed-up. Is there a way to verify that ROMs requiring CHD files have their proper files?

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

You can check the games in the datafile node. You can use the CHD node to filter all games which use CHD. In the listview (to the right), the 4th icon display the chd status: red = not available.
Report bugs here.

Post by Guest »

All appears well.

Now I have to work on why games with CHD files are moving so slow and lagging by 10 to 15 seconds. I guess that I now have to poke around in MAME and look into the settings.