matianing the roms......

Get help with running Romcenter 3 here. Please do not post roms requests or illegal links, posts will be deleted.

Moderator: Wanderer

Forum rules
No roms requests or illegal links
puppetj

matianing the roms......

Post by puppetj »

The latest rom center is crashing on me, even if i reinstall or d/l new copy, it mostly happens during the mame32 data file loading, also it not letting me fix or / find the files that are missing like before
Also i have another question; I want to get rid of some roms i have , i guess after i load up the list in romcenter i would just delete the ones, but some are sets, other are a or b, etcc of other one, and i really need to know , that would be the safest way to delete them, and since iam asking is it safe to merge the roms, and how can i go about doing that??

cibomatto2002
Galaga
Galaga

Re: matianing the roms......

Post by cibomatto2002 »

I think it is best to make your own MAME Data file. :) I had the same problem that you have.

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

Do you have more info on the crash ? Maybe some logs ? Can you explain how you do it ? Which exe you choose to extract games?

To merge the rom, go into rc parameters, and in the romsets tab, select rom mode merged. Then fix all your paths.
If you want to keep only one game per set, it must be the 'main' set. You can delete the clones. If you want to automaticale remove clones, you need a main-only datafile. Maybe you can manage to do that from mame (with the -mamexml command) and then change it to a generic xml format with Logiqx's datutil.
Eric - RomCenter developer
Report bugs here.

Post by Guest »

cibomatto2002 wrote:I think it is best to make your own MAME Data file. :) I had the same problem that you have.
what from the mame32 exe? i did still happened.

puppetj

Post by puppetj »

RomCenter wrote:Do you have more info on the crash ? Maybe some logs ? Can you explain how you do it ? Which exe you choose to extract games?

To merge the rom, go into rc parameters, and in the romsets tab, select rom mode merged. Then fix all your paths.
If you want to keep only one game per set, it must be the 'main' set. You can delete the clones. If you want to automaticale remove clones, you need a main-only datafile. Maybe you can manage to do that from mame (with the -mamexml command) and then change it to a generic xml format with Logiqx's datutil.

Sorry no info, i had uninstalled it, what do u mean which exe, the mame32 exe?

as for the last part about mereging, you lost me!

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

Try with the new release rc1.

If you want to delete some roms from your collection, delete the clones ('clones' node), not the main roms ('originals' node in rc).
Report bugs here.

puppetj

Post by puppetj »

RESULTS....

I used new version, when fixing the yellow section of roms, it crashed and i got:

I HAVE SOME OTHER ISSUES

1- Why when i try to delete a game/rom i get "this contains some unique roms if deleted some games wont work anymore".....why? what wont work anymore?

2- after fixing roms, that need fixing i have alot of (incomplete roms missing, but before rc was able to fix these, but now i cant get the missing roms, what can i do?

thanks

Post by Guest »

btw about mergeing throm, there is not rc params, or tabs, can you explain, more, and i heard it unsafe to do this, should i mrege them, i just hate to see sets, it messy looking

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

puppetj wrote:RESULTS....
I used new version, when fixing the yellow section of roms, it crashed and i got:
:?
Can you post (or pm) the log till the error ?
puppetj wrote: I HAVE SOME OTHER ISSUES

1- Why when i try to delete a game/rom i get "this contains some unique roms if deleted some games wont work anymore".....why? what wont work anymore?
Because the file you're about to delete have unique roms, not found anywhere else. Delete it and this game won't work anymore (and can't be fixed, since you deleted the roms).
puppetj wrote: 2- after fixing roms, that need fixing i have alot of (incomplete roms missing, but before rc was able to fix these, but now i cant get the missing roms, what can i do?
If you manually deleted some files, you removed some important roms (see point 1).
Are you sure the remaining red roms were yellow before fixing ?
Does the number of green/yellow games in the status bar (bottom left of rc main window) changed after the fix ? It should not.
Note that this case can happen if you have corrupted files detected during the fix.
Report bugs here.

puppetj

Post by puppetj »

RomCenter wrote:
puppetj wrote:RESULTS....
:?
Can you post (or pm) the log till the error ?

WHERE WOULD THAT BE, NO .LOG IN THE ROMCENTER FOLDER SUB FOLDERS ANYWHERE
puppetj wrote: I HAVE SOME OTHER ISSUES

Because the file you're about to delete have unique roms, not found anywhere else. Delete it and this game won't work anymore (and can't be fixed, since you deleted the roms).

BUT I DONT WONT THESE GAMES, SO IF I DELETE A BUNCH OF MAHJOGH GAMES, ITS SAYING THAT OTHER GAMES WORK WORK THAT HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH MAHJOG?
puppetj wrote: 2- after fixing roms, that need fixing i have alot of (incomplete roms missing, but before rc was able to fix these, but now i cant get the missing roms, what can i do?
If you manually deleted some files, you removed some important roms (see point 1).
NOT MANUALLY DELETING FILES
Are you sure the remaining red roms were yellow before fixing ?
WELL I ONLY HAD ABOUT 15 YELLOW ROMS I TRIED TO FIX THEM THEN IT CRASHED WITH THAT ERROR

Does the number of green/yellow games in the status bar (bottom left of rc main window) changed after the fix ? It should not.
I DUNNO THINK SO, DONT REMINBER, NOT SURE IF THIS MATTERS, BUT RC 271 SAID SOME GAME WOULDNT RUN WHEN I TRIED TO RUN THEM, EVEN KNOW THEY'D RUN IN MAME32, W/OUT USING RC THRU MAME32, BUT RC1 3.00 DOESNT HAPPEN.

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

Fix again until it crash, then copy the log text and send me as PM.
Report bugs here.

puppetj

Post by puppetj »

the status green/yellow doesnt change, i would pm you but i dont have a account, as for the crash it would happen again, tried plenty of times
so i guess two questions remain, for now

the games that are in the red list are all "incomplete (roms missing), some have red x's on them so do not why is this and what can i do to fix them?

the second question, is how do i merge sets, i dont see the steps your telling me, and another thing is that can i delete "game name (japan)" and still have "game name" (world) still work?

and also is it safe to delete "Rev" or "Ver" one type of game with out the other stop working?

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

Use the forum pm (click the pm button on the right part of this message).

If the number of games doesn't change in status bar, you didn't loose anything. Rc just cleaned your files. Red files can't be fixed. You need to download the missing roms. Rc can't create them. :toobad:

To merge roms, you must set your roms in 'merge' mode. Go into 'preferences', 'romssets' tab and select rom mode = 'merge'.
Then close the 'preferences' window and fix all your paths.

Main games are marked as 'main' in the datafiles node. You must keep these games. In split mode (default), if you delete a main game, all clones won't work anymore, because they used roms from the main set. You can delete clones games, main will always work (in any mode).

About the split/merge concept, a doc was included in rc 2.71. You can still read it in rc 3.00: press f1 to show help file, and go to Details/split/merge.

It is safe to use any mode, merged, unmerged or split. Read the above doc and make your decision. Default is split because it uses less disk space.

You can delete rev or ver, as long as they are clones, not main games.
To know wich file is a main file, use the menu 'edit/select main games'.
Report bugs here.

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Post by Wanderer »

puppetj wrote:some have red x's on them so do not why is this and what can i do to fix them?
These are called "bad dumps". People have tried to extract (dumped) the original rom contents into files but the whole process has not been successful (yet), either because the roms are encrypted with an algorithm that hasn't been "cracked" yet, or because no undamaged roms have been found or for a million other reasons. The result is the following: it is known that a rom with a specific name should exist in a game but its contents are unknown. These roms are marked with a little X in RC. You can see all of them under the "Games with bad dumps" in the "Datafile" branch. Since their contents are unknown, RC can create dummy files (using the menu "Roms \ Advanced \ Create dummy roms) in order for the games to appear green.

Hopefully, this will clarify some things for you.
puppetj wrote:i would pm you but i dont have a account
Why don't you create one? It's free and it helps you in using the forum (you can have email notifications when you receive an answer to one of your posts and a few other helpful stuff).

puppetj

Post by puppetj »

After mergeing roms alot are broken/dont work and they are in the red section now, why wth happened, how do i fix this or undo?

puppetj

Post by puppetj »

where is the error log suppose to be?