First timer - grayed out

Get help with running Romcenter 3 here. Please do not post roms requests or illegal links, posts will be deleted.

Moderator: Wanderer

Forum rules
No roms requests or illegal links
fuzzfoot

First timer - grayed out

Post by fuzzfoot »

Hello.

I just downloaded and installed the newest version of RomCenter from http://www.RomCenter.com (v 2.71) and I also downloaded all the MAME data files. I opened the program, and went immediately to the "Help" tab and found the "Getting Started" section. It told me to select "file -> add rom path" as my first step. Well as you can see in the picture below, that option (along with most other options) is completely grayed out. How do I use this program if the help file won't help me?

Hakkk
Galaga
Galaga

Re: First timer - grayed out

Post by Hakkk »

The first step should be 'selecting a data set" (e.g., your MAME data file) using the long dropdown listbox shown in your picture. If there is nothing, your data file is not correct or not in the correct folder (romcenter_root_dir\datas).

Post by Guest »

"select a data set" <- this option is not provided anywhere.

I downloaded the MAME data files from romcenter.com and put them in the specified directory.

Are you using the same version as me?

Post by Guest »

Oh I get it. It's the completely unlabeled thing that was blank and not mentioned in the "getting started" file. Very intuitively written! </sarcasm>

Hakkk
Galaga
Galaga

Post by Hakkk »

Guest wrote:Oh I get it. It's the completely unlabeled thing that was blank and not mentioned in the "getting started" file. Very intuitively written! </sarcasm>
Yes that's it. I said "using the long dropdown listbox shown in your picture". Maybe that is not an understandable description:)

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Post by Wanderer »

2 Guest

Hi there.

Any particular reason for using v2.71? v3 has been recently released and it's more accurate...

Post by Guest »

Because I'm blind (obviously) and didn't see the download link for 3.00 - similar to how I didn't see the drop down menu. There's a reason why "help" is the first button I push - I usually need it!

I'm gonna download 3.0 when I get home from work, but I got 2.71 working after I figured out the pull-down menu thingie. Actually pretty easy once I finally got going.

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Post by Wanderer »

Great. Check the FAQ and Tutorial links here in the forum for some additional help.

fuzzfoot
Pong
Pong

Post by fuzzfoot »

ok... this is lame. I got version 2.71 working. And then I downloaded the new 3.00

I have all the same data sets (that worked on 2.71) in the correct locations, but when I click the menu in 3.00, nothing happens. When I select file>new, nothing happens. How did i screw it up again?!

fuzzfoot
Pong
Pong

Post by fuzzfoot »

I've read all the tutorials now, and none of the options work on my copy of RomCenter. When I click file/new nothing (and I mean NOTHING) happens. I am 100% sure my datafiles are in the right place now. I'm thinking of just using 2.71 since I could at least get it to work. This is very frustrating.

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Post by Wanderer »

I've been using RC for several years and apart from the occasional bug, it has worked just fine for me. All these problems you have seem a little strange but don't get frustrated, we'll figure it out.

First of all, what version of Windows are you using? Have you downloaded the installer-version of RC3 or the non-installer?