Comments about 4.0b9

Romcenter 4 support discussion. Please do not post roms requests or illegal links, posts will be deleted. After discussion in this forum, please report any new bugs here.

Moderator: Wanderer

Forum rules
No roms requests or illegal links
Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Comments about 4.0b9

Post by Wanderer »

So far b9 seems pretty nice. Haven't noticed any issues and it looks it has made a huge leap towards final release, both feature and issue-wise (especially since the b7x series). One small thing i don't like much so far. I created a mame set, entered the path of mame.exe and as the database file i entered a name without any path. I pressed Create and the database file was saved in RC's dir.

It would be nice to have a default database folder, configurable in Options and if the .rdt has no path (or a relative path), it would be saved under there. Also, the Open Existing RC database should open as default folder that one. Another option could be to also remember that path too (which doesn't seem to be happening now).

Also, a question. In Options, some items are locked/disabled. Shall we assume they are not yet implemented and will be unlocked in the final release?

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Re: Comments about 4.0b9

Post by Wanderer »

Here's another one. Not reporting it as a bug, it's not easily reproducible, it happened once, i can't explain why and here it is.

Out of memory exception.

I had Firefox open (consumed a little less than 1 GB of RAM - playing videos from youtube) and all other programs consumed less than 50MB each. The only other thing i had open was RC, with 4 DBs open of 4 different mame versions. Playing around, i got the "out of memory" error when adding a samples folder to one of the DBs. At the time, RC did not consume very much memory, it must have something between 1 and 2 GBs. The free Physical memory in Task Manager varied between 30 and 34%.

Now, how much RAM does my PC (laptop) actually has, you might ask. Well it has 16GBs! and it seems as if the 4 open DBs of RC ate all that (seems, i don't think it did though)! BTW, 13GBs free on my C: where the swapfile exists.

In some DBs i had added the same roms path, to check how RC works. Here is the setup:

0.125 - ROMS & Samples paths added
0.142 - ROMS path added
0.163 - ROMS path added
0.180 - NO paths added

The "out of memory" occurred while i was trying to add the Samples path to the 0.142 DB.

I'm not expecting it to be reproduced, i'm thinking there may be some memory-leak involved though. All DBs were freshly created, no upgrades.

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Post by Wanderer »

And once again the out of memory. This time: RC (~1GB), FF(~800MB), all others less than 30MB!

Total RAM 16GB, Available 10GB(!)

There seems to be no actual low free RAM problem, it's rather something with RC and multiple DBs. This time i closed and reopened RC and tried to add the ROMs and Samples paths in the DBs they were missing. The message appeared when i had added all paths to all DBs and i was just adding the last (samples) in the last DB.

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

Do you have enough disk space ?
Eric - RomCenter developer
Report bugs here.

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Post by Wanderer »

RomCenter wrote:Do you have enough disk space ?
No! :oops:

I checked C: (thinking it may be a swap file issue) but my DB is not stored in there. That drive has less free space than the DB (DB is >500MB, free space is 200) so... That explains it.

Nuts... :hum:

Could a more informative message be displayed in such cases?