[4.0b10.1] Something is wrong with the settings

Romcenter 4 support discussion. Please do not post roms requests or illegal links, posts will be deleted. After discussion in this forum, please report any new bugs here.

Moderator: Wanderer

Forum rules
No roms requests or illegal links
Wanderer
Board master
Board master

[4.0b10.1] Something is wrong with the settings

Post by Wanderer »

OK, there seems to be one or more problems here but i'm not sure exactly what is going on, so i'm discussing it here. We'll see later on if a bug report can be produced.

There seems to be a problem with the settings and perhaps the way they are loaded / upgraded from one release to another.

When i downloaded v10.0, the first time i ran it, i noticed it opened an old "mame 0.125" dat i had, as an empty tab. I had opened this tab in an earlier RC beta and since then i have deleted it. Clicking on it, resulted in a message that the database could not be found. I closed the tab, opened and closed several others and then closed RC.

Today i downloaded the 10.1 patch. I installed and then ran it. As with 10.0, the empty "mame 0.125" tab appeared again. It seems as if RC inherits the settings of not the previous version but a few versions back. I'm not sure how this is happening because .NET is supposed to inherit the settings of the previous version when you "upgrade" them at program startup. Also, the position and state of the window seem to NOT be inherited from the previous version, so it's not just one setting.

I'll leave it at that for now, and try to check a few more things later on. If anyone else has noticed this behavior, please post it here.

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Re: [4.0b10.1] Something is wrong with the settings

Post by Wanderer »

OK, i found out what's going on. I'm assuming this is intentional because i have not seen something similar happening again.

There is a folder in which RC's settings are stored. In my case, it's

C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\romcenter\RomCenter.exe_Url_zc4rtjll0qbsr3s1mka23dbcvv3amlcf

Here are the subfolders under it and the respective dates of the config files they contain:

4.0.0.0 (2015-11-07)
4.0.0.16070 (2016-10-19)
4.0.0.23616 (2017-02-20)
4.0.0.31106 (2017-02-19)
4.0.0.33713 (2017-02-18)

Noticing anything strange??? :)

Apparently, in the last 3 releases the version number seems to be decreasing(!). This leads RC to inherit the settings from folder 4.0.0.16070 which is actually from a very old version.

Eric? Some light on this matter perhaps?

P.S.: There is also a 4.0.15310.828 folder, which i don't know where it came from.

RomCenter
Author
Author

Re: [4.0b10.1] Something is wrong with the settings

Post by RomCenter »

Nice find
I really don't know what's going on :shock: :?

I will investigate.
Eric - RomCenter developer
Report bugs here.