Need a help

Romcenter 4 support discussion. Please do not post roms requests or illegal links, posts will be deleted. After discussion in this forum, please report any new bugs here.

Moderator: Wanderer

Forum rules
No roms requests or illegal links
MaxP
Pong
Pong

Need a help

Post by MaxP »

Hi!

I'm currently still using 3.7.1 to rename my files. There are two things I noticed that don't work correctly and I'm not sure why:

1- I have a lot of unpacked MAME ROMs in a folder. I thought choosing all files that correspond to one game and using the compress function would result in a ZIP file, but nothing happens. I do have an admin and a user account on my Windows and thought it might be an issue with the file permissions, tried using RomCenter with both accounts, but it still won't compress the files. Am I even using this function correctly or is it just to re-compress already existing ZIP files?

2- I'm using a German Windows 7. Even though I never told RomCenter to use the German translation it does so for the most part, but many error messages still show up in French or English. It's totally irritating and I'd rather have it all in English then. How can I do so? Can I simply delete everything in the languages folder?

Thanks.

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Re: Need a help

Post by Wanderer »

Hi there.

In Romcenter "Options", you can define the language you prefer. From personal experience though, i can say that the combination of Windows and .NET is rather tricky on the language matter. If on your PC, you have downloaded a .net framework in a specific language, then there are some error messages that will appear in that language nomatter what the application language is. .NET does not follow the application settings in that case, it just decides by itself that since there is a dll in the system language (or what is defined in "Regional Settings"), the error messages will be shown in that language. That means that if you see error messages in German, then there may be no way to see them in another language. The only way i have found is to uninstall any localized .NET translation you may have on your PC (German in your case) and install only the English one.

I don't know if there is a workaround for that, Eric (or anyone else) if you know one, please share. In any case, MaxP, if your Romcenter language is i.e. English and you see messages in French (which both are languages supported by RC), you can write down some steps to reproduce the messages and post all of them in one bug report in the bug tracker (check my sig) so Eric may check them when possible.

Have a nice day.

P.S.: I assumed you were referring to RC4 in your post. RC3 has compatibility issues with newer mame versions and since RC4 has reached a final release stage (not beta any more), it is suggested to use it instead of RC3 (which is not supported anymore). It would of course be prudent to keep a backup of your roms and then try RC4. In any case, IIRC Compress meant "re-compress" in RC3 as you imagined.