Fix game not highlighted

Get help with running Romcenter 3 here. Please do not post roms requests or illegal links, posts will be deleted.

Moderator: Wanderer

Forum rules
No roms requests or illegal links
TotoKid

Fix game not highlighted

Post by TotoKid »

I've got some incomplete and bad renamed Neo Geo roms that I wish to repair but RC doesn't want me to fix them! I cannot click on "Fix game" because it's gray! I'm using the last data file but this problem persists since the older versions. How can i make RC fix my roms? Thank you for your help! :D

Ad_Enuff
Puzzle bobble
Puzzle bobble

Re: Fix game not highlighted

Post by Ad_Enuff »

TotoKid wrote: I cannot click on "Fix game" because it's gray!
Thats your problem! I'm about to give you some very very bad news!

ALL of your roms in that GRAY zip file are not recognised by RC because they are wrong CRC's due to redumps or just plain BAD.

You will need to find the latest ROMS for MAME 0.86. These are currently the right dumps etc.

In Mame 0.80 and the other above mentioned emulators, a lot NeoGeo sets changed because they where redumped.
The story behind this (direct quote from Sixtoe):

The "in a nutshell" version.
A lot of the neogeo roms were dumped badly and have been redumped.

The "Bit more in depth" version.
If you were around in the early neogeo emu days it was a nightmare with multiple redumps of roms by inexperienced dumpers/hackers, and when dumps were made that didn't have any visual or sound errors they were assumed to be good. Well, recently a couple of experienced dumpers (Guru and another) have got hold of a few carts and have found that a lot of them have been dumped incorrectly, it could well extend to most of them in fact. The bad roms currently in MAME actualy have swapped first and second halfs swapped, so the new MAME when its released supports the new correctly dumped sets.

An additional comment from smf:
All that has happened is the roms have been dumped again. In most cases the files didn't change contents, just the order of the data in the roms. The first/second half swapped problem was often due to the lack of support of the roms in the eprom burning software. A common way round it is to ground the top address wire and dump the rom, then connect it to +5v and dump it again. Then manually merge the contents. As you can imagine this is open to error.

The affeceted sets are:
3countb
aof3
blazstar
goalx3
kabukikl
kotm2
lastblad
magdrop3
mslug
neobombe
neodrift