Report bugs here.

abalone
Galaga
Galaga

Few reports

Post by abalone »

Nice job Eric :D
Just a few feedbacks

1) When importing data files, RC treats Zipped data files as CMPro files.

2) Wizard mode is too annoying when creating new database. I recommend using one simple window instead.

3) The DB files are quite large, for example, MAME Data files is around 10M, the generated database are 42M.

4) Not quite sure the meaning of nodes present in template.bin. How are they determined?

5) I suggest using other extension for database files. (eg .rcd = RomCenter Database)

6) It seems that I couldn't drag drop folder on RC

7) RC seems doesn't like the Time format in Non-english Wiindows. The path cannot be added. (It works in my ofice's english WinXP)

Query Paths list
Add new rom path
Add rom path [I:\r\t\Philips\CD-i\Applications]
Loading 2 files in DB
erreur : conversion error from string "2006-04-18 上午 11:52:14"
erreur : conversion error from string "2006-04-18 下午 12:09:20"
2 files loaded
Analysing files
Refresh database status
Refresh Paths node in TreeView

8) I suggest to save the database files in one folder like "DB" other than the RC path

9) It would be great to have a combo box for database files like the datafile list in RC271

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

abalone wrote:Nice job Eric :D
Just a few feedbacks

1) When importing data files, RC treats Zipped data files as CMPro files.
Yes, zipped dat are not yet supported
2) Wizard mode is too annoying when creating new database. I recommend using one simple window instead.
hmm, ok, I will look for a simpler way of doing that.
3) The DB files are quite large, for example, MAME Data files is around 10M, the generated database are 42M.
Yes, I can't do anything about it. Zipping is very efficient if you need to move it. I dont' think 40 or 80MB on a hard drive is a big problem today.
4) Not quite sure the meaning of nodes present in template.bin. How are they determined?
They are actually hard coded and I added them for testing. If you have ideas of lists, post them. It could eventually be customizable in the future.
5) I suggest using other extension for database files. (eg .rcd = RomCenter Database)
Yes, it will be better. rcd is fine.
6) It seems that I couldn't drag drop folder on RC
No, it is not yet hooked.
7) RC seems doesn't like the Time format in Non-english Wiindows. The path cannot be added. (It works in my ofice's english WinXP)
Query Paths list
Add new rom path
Add rom path [I:\r\t\Philips\CD-i\Applications]
Loading 2 files in DB
erreur : conversion error from string "2006-04-18 上午 11:52:14"
erreur : conversion error from string "2006-04-18 下午 12:09:20"
2 files loaded
Analysing files
Refresh database status
Refresh Paths node in TreeView
oh sh...t :x
This is the same problem I had last week. I solved it on my two pc...
It will be hard to find the problem as I can't reproduce the it myself.
Anyway, I will try to find a solution.
8) I suggest to save the database files in one folder like "DB" other than the RC path
Yes, ok for DB
9) It would be great to have a combo box for database files like the datafile list in RC271
I want to use a MRU (most recently used). Do you think it could do the trick ?
Eric - RomCenter developer
Report bugs here.

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Post by Wanderer »

RomCenter wrote:
abalone wrote:9) It would be great to have a combo box for database files like the datafile list in RC271
I haven't had time to see RC 3.0a1 yet as i'm in the middle of a million things ATM (including a PC re-installation). I hope i'll have some time this weekend to check it out. About the point mentioned above, i'd like to say that MRUs are fine as long as a small number of files are used. If someone has several files, it may not be convenient. Besides, files in MRUs are not sorted. :)

Also, i have a question about the announcement of RC3a1: 15 minutes to create the mame database??? Is this correct? If yes then is this happening because this is an alpha version? Will it be improved later on?

abalone
Galaga
Galaga

Post by abalone »

RomCenter wrote:
Yes, I can't do anything about it. Zipping is very efficient if you need to move it. I dont' think 40 or 80MB on a hard drive is a big problem today.
Since 10M is unzipped data files size. I suspect if the database contains some junk data. Anyway, I agree that size is no big deal today :)
RomCenter wrote:
Both features are cool and wanted! :D

a) Just a few more ideas, the nodes in Database seems for game filtering/grouping. But in case there are too many filters (nodes), it will be too dizzy.

I suggest to either having
1) MAME32 style filter (ie, make one more panel on the left) OR
2) Add a new grouping toolbar (then add a combo list like: group by manufactor, group by dumping, group by rom size, group by dumping status, group by year, group by resolution, group according to User-defined filter etc). Of course, recursive grouping is also welcome :D

b) Since you are now using database, is it possible to allow advanced user to enter select query directly?

c) It will also be great if user can define their own correct game name, since some people like numbered roms but some don't.
For example,
%####% - %gamename% (%year%) (%country%) (%dumpinggroup%) (%crc32) [%dumping status%]

%gamename% (%country%)

**The variable may be defined according the xml tag of the data files
d) The new RBSD field is cool! but I suggest to show the number of missing roms/bios/sample/disk instead of just a red icon.

e) I think "Game name" field should be called "Folder/archive name" instead, while "Game description" should be "Game name"

f) Would you enable the "auto column sizing"? It is sometime very annoying to adjust manually :)

Sorry to make so many requests :oops:

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

abalone wrote:a) Just a few more ideas, the nodes in Database seems for game filtering/grouping. But in case there are too many filters (nodes), it will be too dizzy.

I suggest to either having
1) MAME32 style filter (ie, make one more panel on the left) OR
2) Add a new grouping toolbar (then add a combo list like: group by manufactor, group by dumping, group by rom size, group by dumping status, group by year, group by resolution, group according to User-defined filter etc). Of course, recursive grouping is also welcome :D
I don't know yet how I will display filters. Ideas are welcome. I prefer the mame32 style because it's easier to add custom filters (like sql filters)
b) Since you are now using database, is it possible to allow advanced user to enter select query directly?
Yes, probably to manually add new filter nodes. Current sql are hard coded. I will first move them in a config file and then make an interface to add/remove them.
c) It will also be great if user can define their own correct game name, since some people like numbered roms but some don't.
For example,
%####% - %gamename% (%year%) (%country%) (%dumpinggroup%) (%crc32) [%dumping status%]

%gamename% (%country%)

**The variable may be defined according the xml tag of the data files
This is more difficult. The database must be dynamically moidified to store new datas. But this is not a real problem. The big problem is datafiles. AFAIK, only mame provides structured xml games infos, other datafiles include these infos in the game name itself and it is not always coherent...
The first step I will do is extract game number and use it as a separate fields. This will make 'not numbered' datafiles useless.

The naming convension is definitly a good thing.
d) The new RBSD field is cool! but I suggest to show the number of missing roms/bios/sample/disk instead of just a red icon.
RBSD will be replaced by icons (when I have time to make it).
The idea is good, but I find icons more easy to read than 4 columns of numbers. I can add more detailled info like these numbers in the (not yet available) 'property' window ?
e) I think "Game name" field should be called "Folder/archive name" instead, while "Game description" should be "Game name"
Right for this one.
f) Would you enable the "auto column sizing"? It is sometime very annoying to adjust manually :)
This could be an option. (I use the default ctrl+ shortcut)
Sorry to make so many requests :oops:
You're welcome. This is now the best moment to make requests and ideas. 8)
Report bugs here.

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

Wanderer wrote:I haven't had time to see RC 3.0a1 yet as i'm in the middle of a million things ATM (including a PC re-installation). I hope i'll have some time this weekend to check it out. About the point mentioned above, i'd like to say that MRUs are fine as long as a small number of files are used. If someone has several files, it may not be convenient. Besides, files in MRUs are not sorted. :)
No problems. :)
So combobox was a good feature... ok then. :P
Also, i have a question about the announcement of RC3a1: 15 minutes to create the mame database??? Is this correct? If yes then is this happening because this is an alpha version? Will it be improved later on?
Yes, it is correct, 15min. This is a one time process. It is needed to load every roms in the DB and then make links between games, roms, clones, samples etc...

:? But I have some ideas to optimize it . 8)
Report bugs here.

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Post by Wanderer »

RomCenter wrote:
Yes, it is correct, 15min. This is a one time process. It is needed to load every roms in the DB and then make links between games, roms, clones, samples etc...

:? But I have some ideas to optimize it . 8)
So, for every new mame release 15 minutes are required to reload the whole thing in the db or just the new/changed files are added in the db, so we are talking about a couple of minutes?

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

Actually, updating an existing db is not available.
So, for a new release, you have to build a new db.

Of course, the final version will allow to update an existing db.

Updating full db require unlinking files from the db roms, remove db roms, load new roms and link files back to new roms.

Only updating changed files requires to load the new roms in the db, compare old and new, unlink files to changed roms, unlink changed roms from other roms, remove, add new roms and link the whole thing again.

I will optimize the db creation and see which option between full creation, or only changed roms are the fastest.

:idea: Maybe datutil can again be of some help in this task...
Report bugs here.

abalone
Galaga
Galaga

Post by abalone »

RBSD will be replaced by icons (when I have time to make it).
The idea is good, but I find icons more easy to read than 4 columns of numbers. I can add more detailled info like these numbers in the (not yet available) 'property' window ?

How about a red icon with number on it? Or we can use coloured number (eg green for zero, red for > 0 )
:)

I never realize that there is a auto-column sizing shortcut key, this is really a good news to me!! :wink:

Yungstar 2006
PacMan
PacMan

Re: Few reports

Post by Yungstar 2006 »

abalone wrote:Nice job Eric :D
Just a few feedbacks

please leave it in, very easy to use for a new user.