Hi Eric. Since i have quite some free time today, i decided to install RC3a2 and test it a little. The first thing i noticed during the creation of the new mame 0.112 db is no more "arithmetic exception, numeric overflow, or string truncation" errors!
Also the filters are working now, thanks for that. It's still a little hard to do comparisons with RC2 though because the status line is not working (how many roms are green/yellow/red).
After some tests, i discovered the following:
- My mame roms path has been processed by RC2 and everything appears green in it (except from one file that is missing). I noticed that some mame 112 files appeared as yellow in RC3, even though they appear as green in RC2. When viewing one of them (i.e. buckrogn.zip), i saw that the roms inside it have a "copy 1" appended to them (cpu-ic3 copy1). After doing some checking in the datafile, i saw that there was no "copy 1", so RC3 has correctly fixed the roms that RC 2 had falsely named ! So, +1 for RC3, -1 for RC2!
- When i added the rom path and expanded the "Rom files" branch, i saw two child entries under it instead of one. A blank and then the path i added.
- I moved some zips (~10) to another dir, unpacked them and repacked everything as a single zip (z.zip). Then i moved it into the roms path and i refreshed RC3. I noticed that RC started removing all those zips from the DB. (This process was rather slow. It required approx 2 seconds for each file! I hope something can be done to make it faster.) After sitting there for a minute, it suddenly showed in the log all the roms that existed in z.zip and after a few seconds the whole process had finished. I pressed the "fix" button and after some time, the "fix" process finished. Two of the zips were marked as yellow and i saw that some roms were missing from them. Apparently RC3 had failed to correctly transfer all roms from the single-zip to the individual zips. In the above process, i used the following zips:
8ballact (missing roms after "fix")
8ballat2 (missing roms after "fix")
Overall, i must say RC3 seems pretty stable but not so fast. I hope after the alpha-phase, the speed of some parts can be improved.
I suppose it's too early to report some minor things but i'll report them, just to have them in mind.
- The header of the log is named "working". Over it, a "0" is displayed.
- When i imported the mame112 db from mame.exe, the first thing in the log was "Import datas from emulator" followed by the path of the exe and the name of the db. There is no space between the "from emulator" and the path (i.e. "from emulatorC:\Program files..."). Also, it might be nice to enclose the path of the exe and the name of the db in quotes. That way it may seem more clear. Also, a horizontal scrollbar in the log would be nice.
- After my roms datapath was added, i noticed that there were too many blank lines under the last entry in the log. After using the scrollbar (gone up and then down again), the blank lines disappeared.
- When the main list is being refreshed (i.e. by using one of the filters), the mouse pointer is rapidly switching between an arrow and an arrow with a hourglass until the refresh is finished. This whole flickering is not very attractive.
- In the log again, the word DB appears several times. Some times it's db, others it's DB or Db or even bd! Yes i know it's still an alpha version and i'm quibbling
but i thought since i noticed it, why not report it
- The log window, instead of being at the right of the screen, it might be better to be at the bottom.
Enough for now. I'll keep playing with it though. I'll test it with mame 0.113 when it is released. I think this will be a pretty good test.