Romcenter 3 wishlist

Get help with running Romcenter 3 here. Please do not post roms requests or illegal links, posts will be deleted.

Moderator: Wanderer

Forum rules
No roms requests or illegal links
Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Romcenter 3 wishlist

Post by Wanderer »

An extra datafile filter which could prove to be very helpful: list all games (flat) but show in the tree the game filename first and then its title (i.e. 11beat - Eleven Beat). That way one could see all missing games as reds inside romcenter in a flat way, sorted by filename, not game title.

Re: Romcenter 3 wishlist

Post by Guest »

7z support :)

Post by Guest »

The ability to select a primary rom path and run a "path merge" type command, which would treat all the available (or selected) rom paths as a single path, merging available roms, deleting unused roms and dupes, and putting all the results in the primary rom path (leaving the others empty).

Add/Remove multiple rom paths at once. It takes so long to add or remove a path, it would be nice to be able to do them as a batch action.

This isn't so much a "wish" as a minor suggestion, but as a new user, the green/yellow/red scheme meaning two completely different things was a little confusing. It might help to replace yellow and red in the games listing, perhaps with teal and blue - the more "green" it is, the more complete.

Great app, keep it up!

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

Fyi, you can add several paths at once by dragging them in the left view.
Eric - RomCenter developer
Report bugs here.

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

Find and remove dup in all folders
Report bugs here.

Post by Guest »

Filter CHDs

Filter No Good Dump Known

Post by Guest »

Might as well throw in Filter Samples too, since it looks like there are a lot of "no good dump known" samples that the dat files don't know are ngdk.

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

Why do you mean by filter xxx ?
Report bugs here.

Post by Guest »

Filter as in show or hide, like the buttons along the left side do for games and files that are incomplete, missing, fixable, etc.

This way, you could open up the "All games (Flat)" view, hide green games, chds, and bad dumps, and get an easy list of obtainable games needed to complete a set. Currently (as far as I've figured out), the best way to do it is to just scroll through the flat list game by game and decide if you'll be able to find each one.

Alternately, the buttons might just hide games/files in which the only missing files are CHDs, No Dumps, or Samples. That way you could make sure you had as much as was available for each game.

Post by Guest »

Now that I think about it, those things are specific to certain romsets, so they wouldn't make sense for say console roms. I wonder if there would be a way to implement specific filters for each dat / romset? That's a much larger request though, I imagine.

Post by Guest »

Please added function remove duplicate rom from crc. If it had compress and uncompress, That should ask to delete file. :clap: :clap: :clap:

petruza.d64
Pong
Pong

Post by petruza.d64 »

Hi all, I'm new, and I find Romcenter great!
I think a great functionality would be to filter roms by TOSEC naming convention tags.
Suppose you want to keep only one rom of every game, and you prefer some characteristics over others, let's say:
- you prefer US dumps over european, at least one of them, but no other language like Japanese, etc.
- you prefer no bad dumps or overdumps [o]
- you prefer games with trainer [t]
- etc.

This can be achieved by simple regular expression matching.

Anyway when I find time I'll make a simple tool that does this, but It would be very handy if Romcenter had it.

Thanks!

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

You mean filtering the dat before importing it ? This is an idea !

Fyi, you can use regular expressions in the search field.
Report bugs here.

Nexus

Post by Nexus »

Please bring back the "Copy file(s) to ..." option under "Shell operations ...".

glucose

Post by glucose »

Wishlist: Support multi core. :super: :super:

gabriel18

Post by gabriel18 »

Guest wrote:The ability to select a primary rom path and run a "path merge" type command, which would treat all the available (or selected) rom paths as a single path, merging available roms, deleting unused roms and dupes, and putting all the results in the primary rom path (leaving the others empty).

Add/Remove multiple rom paths at once. It takes so long to add or remove a path, it would be nice to be able to do them as a batch action.

This isn't so much a "wish" as a minor suggestion, but as a new user, the green/yellow/red scheme meaning two completely different things was a little confusing. It might help to replace yellow and red in the games listing, perhaps with teal and blue - the more "green" it is, the more complete.

Great app, keep it up!

Post by Guest »

Any chance on working on the performance, it's appalling!

On my Quad core PC, 3GB RAM, 1TB of HD, it can take 30mins or so to import Mame set

Changing split options, well I think I killed RomCenter after about a hour of hard disc hammering.

I really like RomCenter, I used 2.71 for ages, and although ClrMamePro was much quicker I liked the user interface. But comparing the performance of ClrMamePro to RomCenter 3 is like chalk and cheese.

I know this is probably down to the external database engine you use, but it does distract from an otherwise excellent product.

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Post by Wanderer »

Guest wrote:On my Quad core PC, 3GB RAM, 1TB of HD, it can take 30mins or so to import Mame set
:!: :!: :!: Are you referring to the latest mame set with all the CHDs?

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

:shock:
I just import a mame 0.128u3 mame set and it takes 2'16 on my core2duo 4400 2Go ram. Changing merge setting takes 0'26.
Do you use external drive ?
Are you also loading rom files ?
Report bugs here.

xuom2

Post by xuom2 »

offtopic: compression..

The option "max compression level" should work not only when RC writes the archives, but during the scan too.
A file zipped with 0 level of compression and correctly named, should appear as yellow, while now it appears green.
If the user wants a certain compression level, he wants it for the "old" files too.

The only way to fix this is to "rezip" the whole set (NDS is > 80GB).
Anyway, your compression level seems to be a bit smaller than 7ZIP max level (ZIP compression), tested with 3-D Tetris (USA) (VirtualBoy): 263 vs 284 KB.

offtopic again: comments..

A nice feature to add to RC is the check for comments in archives: remove all comments or add a comment to all zipfiles..

Performance

Post by Guest »

Hi again,
Thanks for the response.

Maybe something with the PC, the Roms are on an external drive, but connected via eSATA so performance should be pretty good.

By the looks, the RDT database file is held on C drive, which is a 500GB SATA drive.

I tried to update the database from 0.128u6 to 0.128u7, it got past the reindexing stage, but when it got to the status update, it was hammering the drive again for 30 mins before I killed the process.

I tried to read up on the database engine you're using in case there is some configuration file I'm missing, or some parameters I could try tweaking, but have to admit couldn't find anything obvious.

I should mention I'm running Vista :( with SP1

Post by Guest »

7zip

You have a realy great software :super:

davy
Galaga
Galaga

Post by davy »

Hi,

looking through the board I have found a post saying that it was planned in RC3 to implement kind of a properties Window for all roms which would show the current game's status like "not working" or "playable".
Is this available with RC3.20 and if yes, where? I didn't really find it.

If it's not (yet) available: could it be done as one of the List view's columns instead? I think this would be even better because with each MAME version there are a lot of changes. If one wishes to always be up2date, also in terms of a "working cabinet", it is a bit of a hassle to always sift through all the changelog to actually see all the broken games, and the ones promoted from non_working status.

Regards
D.

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

It is not done actually. Adding more data to the database could be done of course, but I have to see the impact on general processes.
This is not a priority. I'm actually implementing a multithreaded framework to see if I can speed up fix operations.
Report bugs here.

ROBOT
Pong
Pong

Post by ROBOT »

i didn't read all posts but something that romcenter is missing
is the option to report(export) have/missing roms as XML dat file,
like in 2.70 but xml.

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Post by Wanderer »

When on a file in the database branch of the tree, pressing "fix" produces this message: "You can't repair files from this location. Go under 'roms files' node and select a physical file".

It would be very nice if instead of that message, a new window popped-up in which a multi-select listbox existed. In that listbox, all the paths this game exists in will appear, so the user can select one or more paths and "fix" them by pressing a "fix" button that will also exist in that form.

Drakul

Post by Drakul »

Hi !!!
First it's a great software you got there, the one I use and prefer toward crlmamepro !!!
But nowadays, it becomes more or less vital for those roms handlers programs to manage 7zip files due to the incresing size of those roms directory!!!
For example, more than one hundred gigs for the NDS one so it's a good think to change for 7zip which as a better compression rate than zip.
Please, please can you add support for 7zip, please !!! I don't want to change for Crlmamepro which as support for it !!!
Thank you aniway for your great software !!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

mist
Pong
Pong

Post by mist »

Rename snapshots would be nice :)

Henrique

Post by Henrique »

Hi, first of all, great software, thanks alot.

I have two requests:

1. The the move or copy shell operations not automatically rename the files if they already exists, need some kind of option to you select if you want replace or no.

2. Natively x64 (64 bits) version.

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

Henrique wrote: 2. Natively x64 (64 bits) version.
Not possible until Delphi offer a 64bits compiler, or I move to c#.net :P
Report bugs here.