Please re-add the ability to work with unzipped roms

Romcenter 4 support discussion. Please do not post roms requests or illegal links, posts will be deleted. After discussion in this forum, please report any new bugs here.

Moderator: Wanderer

Forum rules
No roms requests or illegal links
AllenHS
Pong
Pong

Please re-add the ability to work with unzipped roms

Post by AllenHS »

I noticed this item as a fix for release candidate 4

[*]Unzipped roms are no more processed when renaming games and reverse

I like to keep my roms unzipped especially for the very large 10 GB plus files. having a copy zipped for Romcenter and a copy unzipped separate for emulators that don't play well with zipped items would take to much space. Please give the option of working and keeping roms unzipped, thanks.

RomCenter
Author
Author

Re: Please re-add the ability to work with unzipped roms

Post by RomCenter »

Don't worry, the unzipped rom processor is still there, it is simply triggered with a 'rename rom' instead of a 'rename files'.
Eric - RomCenter developer
Report bugs here.

AllenHS
Pong
Pong

Post by AllenHS »

Oh ok! Thank you for the reply.

romvesen

Post by romvesen »

No neither rename rom nor rename file works anymore with unzipped files. Please add to RC4, RC3 works fine with unzipped.

dreimer1986

Post by dreimer1986 »

Well, RC4 is useless then. Back to RC3 until it stops zipping all my ROMs

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

You're right. There is a bug introduced in rc4. It will be fixed in final release.
Sorry for that.
Report bugs here.

dace_blackheart
PacMan
PacMan

Post by dace_blackheart »

When will the next version be released? I just switched to RC4 from 371 because the latest no intro dats no longer work with it.

I also use unzipped, I tried RC3 as dreimer1986 suggested it still works there, but it doesn't. it reports all my unzipped roms as having "bad name" but their names are correct. And RC4 reports all my unzipped roms as "not needed here" I assume it wants to compress them? anyone know if older version works?

Also, will the final version have an explicit option under dat settings "preferred format" -> "unzipped" ? instead of only zip, 7z ?

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

Romcenter 4 does not automatically zip your roms. You can keep your console roms unzipped.
Which datafile are you using ?
Report bugs here.

dace_blackheart
PacMan
PacMan

the latest SNES dat downloaded from No-Intro DOM Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System (Combined) (20190324-211059).dat

with RC3 when I click on "ROMs" on the left plane all my "have" ROMs show yellow with the error "Bad file name". But the actual filename and expected are the same.
rc3.png
rc3.png (48.6 KiB) Viewed 153637 times
with RC4 the error becomes "Not needed here" ??? Literally all I did was import the dat then add the dir with my snes ROMs. I've no idea where it wants to move it...
rc4.png
rc4.png (52.69 KiB) Viewed 153637 times

dace_blackheart
PacMan
PacMan

My previous reply still isn't approved yet... with pics attached.

However, I took the plunge and tried the fix option on my roms, and indeed the few I tried, it zipped them. I tried the individual fix options specifically and its the "Remove useless ROM" operation that is zipping them. A related bug is that it was not detecting duplicate ROMs correctly, or at all. And yet, they were detected, sort of. I had 7 duplicates my have list was 3370 but i had 3377 files in the dir but none of the files were marked duplicate, only "Not needed here". and after I closed the ROM dir in romcenter and then checked the db in the left plane 7 games were tstill listed as green/have... when I clicked the green db entry the data in the right most pane showed the file as missing/red. Using the clean up db option didn't fix the stray haves. I had to delete the rdt and rebuild after delete the duplicate files manually, which took a while, cause I only knew the correct file name from the have list, not the actual file name on disk. And after deleting the duplicates all my ROMs still show as "Not needed here"

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

Can you tell me if a plugin is used in your tests. The current plugin is displayed in the status bar. Should be crc, or snes.

I suspect a conflict with a new bios file recently added in the dat (and which must be zipped). I will check.
Report bugs here.

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

dace_blackheart wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:38 am
My previous reply still isn't approved yet... with pics attached.
The limit was 5 posts to allow direct publishing. I lowered it to 3. Your posts should be available immedialty now.
Report bugs here.

dace_blackheart
PacMan
PacMan

No plugin, its with crc. nothing to do with BIOS either I think as I also tested a custom no intro dat with the arcade games and enhancement chip roms left out of the dat and this still happens.

Edit: I just tested with the plugin, and its basically the same. My ROMs show as "Not needed here" but with the expected file name now shows it wants an mgd file extension instead of sfc. If I fix a single ROM. It zips it and changes the file extension of the ROM in the zip to .mgd. After that the new zipped ROM still shows yellow, but with "ROM need fix", I ran fix again and it changed the extension of the ROM inside the zip back to sfc... ??? and now its green.

What the heck is .mgd anyway? I've never seen it before and I've downloaded ROMs at least since 97. Is it multi game doctor or something? Why do you consider this the real extension for snes ROMs? If anything standard non-header, non-interleaved ROMs have no real format. The're just binary data. So .bin or something makes more sense. But. overriding the extension that is specified in the dat seems silly anyway.

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

I have fixed the problem. It will be released with the final version.

mgd is a snes rom format. snes plugin shares code from ucon64. You can read more on this format there.
Report bugs here.

dace_blackheart
PacMan
PacMan

RomCenter wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:55 pm
I have fixed the problem. It will be released with the final version.
release eta?

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

In may
Report bugs here.

Flexstart
PacMan
PacMan