MAME samples recognition (identification)

Romcenter 4 support discussion. Please do not post roms requests or illegal links, posts will be deleted. After discussion in this forum, please report any new bugs here.

Moderator: Wanderer

Forum rules
No roms requests or illegal links
mundodisco
Pong
Pong

MAME samples recognition (identification)

Post by mundodisco »

I wonder how Romcenter 4 tells whether a MAME sample (wav file) is OK or not, provided that in DAT files, samples are just indicated by their names (no crc or md5 or sha1). However, Romcenter is rejecting many samples (downloaded from serious websites) inexplicably. Can anyone enlighten me up on this subject?

Last but not least, and continuing with samples-related issues, why in Romcenter Settings-Sample merge mode, the option in the middle ("Split (samples in separate samples folders)") is geyed out and cannot be selected??

Thank you!
Gabriel
from Buenos Aires, Argentina

ScalNeCuS
PacMan
PacMan

Re: MAME samples recognition (identification)

Post by ScalNeCuS »

Hi Gabriel,

I can only answer your second question. Without any added paths this setting is indeed grayed out.
Add 2 paths to start. 1 for roms and 1 for samples. After this you can go into settings and in "sample merge mode" choose split (samples in separate folder) and choose your sample-path in the drop down-menu. RC will now recalculate your database for the new settings.

Cheers

Edit:
But to go back to your first question.
Anyone can have any file renamed to whatever.wav. So, as long are there are no official released CRCs, SHA's or whatnot of these sound-files, these files are not valid. So RomCenter is right in not identifying them as correct.
And as far as I know there are practically no wav files released as official.
I guess they are waiting on the hardware engineers who can also program in C++, to write code that can emulate the analog electronic circuitry and produce the exact sound of the game. Seems not easy.

kudos