how to combine two sets of MAME roms with the same name into a new clean set?

Romcenter 4 support discussion. Please do not post roms requests or illegal links, posts will be deleted. After discussion in this forum, please report any new bugs here.

Moderator: Wanderer

Forum rules
No roms requests or illegal links
xmaxix

how to combine two sets of MAME roms with the same name into a new clean set?

Post by xmaxix »

Hi, I have two different sets of MAME roms with the same names which has been cleaned separately with ROMCENTER.
I want to know how can I combine bot set of roms into a single set since I know that some of the roms missing in one set are in the other set and also because, for sure, over 95% of the roms are the same between the two sets.
How can I combine the two sets into a single consolidated set of roms?
Thanks!

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Re: how to combine two sets of MAME roms with the same name into a new clean set?

Post by Wanderer »

Hi there.

I assume you mean that you have 2 separate folders A and B, containing games from the same system, and you have "fixed" them with romcenter using the same DAT file.

If that's the case, copy all files from B to A WITHOUT overwriting any existing files. That way, any games that do not exist in folder A will be copied there. Then create a new RC database from the dat file and add both A and B folders as ROM folders in RC. Then simply fix folder A. Make sure to use fix options "rename files", "rename rom" and more important, "import missing rom". After that, folder A should contain a merge of all your games. Check if everything is OK by writing down how many green/yellow/reds you have in the "DATABASE\all games" branch, then remove folder B from RC ROM folders and check if something has changes in the color counts. If not, you're OK.

If that is NOT the case, please clarify.

xmaxix

Re: how to combine two sets of MAME roms with the same name into a new clean set?

Post by xmaxix »

Thanks, indeed, they are in two different folders but it's not a matter of "copy & paste" directly in Windows since many of the MAME sets are repeated but not the same (different roms inside of each set).
I will try this approach:

Make sure to use fix options "rename files", "rename rom" and more important, "import missing rom". After that, folder A should contain a merge of all your games

Thanks!

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Post by Wanderer »

OK. A suggestion though. Keep a backup of all files (if possible), you never know what might go wrong...