technical questions

Romcenter 4 support discussion. Please do not post roms requests or illegal links, posts will be deleted. After discussion in this forum, please report any new bugs here.

Moderator: Wanderer

Forum rules
No roms requests or illegal links
jessica
Galaga
Galaga

technical questions

Post by jessica »

hi Eric!

Thank you so much for all the work on romcenter!
It's really a DREAM rom manager and I'm planning to post all bugs I find here in order to improve the program.
The lastest version with tons of fixes made it my default rom manager now. I especially like the user friendly UI with colors to tell you exactly what's wrong with a file.

Am I allowed to ask some technical questions about romcenter's used technology?

- what UI framework is used?
- what SQL database is used?
- are there plans to move to .Net 5 or will .Net core will be used for the future versions? I ask this because .net core is in theory replaced by .net 5 according to microsoft
- are there plans to make it open source? I think some help from other developers could really add many features you don't have enough time for.
- is there a plugin development kit for C# planned?

Best regards
Jessica

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Re: technical questions

Post by Wanderer »

Hello.

Wow, lots of questions. I'll answer what i can and leave the rest to Eric.
jessica wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:52 am
Am I allowed to ask some technical questions about romcenter's used technology?
Sure. Only ROM requests and pointers to ROM downloads is not allowed here. Everything else is welcomed.
jessica wrote:
- what UI framework is used?
.NET framework 4.0 / WPF.
jessica wrote:
- what SQL database is used?
AFAIK, Firebird.
jessica wrote:
- are there plans to move to .Net 5 or will .Net core will be used for the future versions? I ask this because .net core is in theory replaced by .net 5 according to microsoft
Don't know about that, however AFAICR, the main reason Eric used .NET 4.0 and not anything newer is that this was the only thing that could work under Linux at the time. Now, the situation with .NET 5 is not very mature yet and 6 promises to be more complete and feature-close to .NET 4.8, so i'm guessing Eric might think of upgrading it in the future but it's up to him to decide and announce anything related.
jessica wrote:
- are there plans to make it open source? I think some help from other developers could really add many features you don't have enough time for.
We've had such a discussion here in the past. Eric had decided to keep it personal for his reasons. Feel free to search around for the related posts.
jessica wrote:
- is there a plugin development kit for C# planned?
Good question. Eric?

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

I'm currently moving to .net 4.7.2 (rc 4.2). It compiles now, and I'm fixing breaking changes happening when upgrading all packets since .net 4.0...
Then I will fix some bugs (also in 4.1 branch) and release a 32b at 64b version for windows 10.
The main reason I have kept .net 4.0 is XP compatibility, but linux is a good reason. Maybe the new version will also work on wine...

Next plan is .net standard for romcenter core libraries. GUI will remain wpf, so no compatibility with macos or linux. But command line should work natively on these os.

About plugins, they are independant and keep working on rc 4.
I made them open source on github(https://github.com/ebolefeysot/RomcenterPlugins). There are Delphi (pascal) and c++ plugins. You can write c# as well.

Note that plugin will probably make problems with rc 64b. They have to be compiled in 64b to work. And maybe also be signed :/
Without speaking about linux and macos ?!?
Eric - RomCenter developer
Report bugs here.

jessica
Galaga
Galaga

Post by jessica »

Will software list support also be added in 4.2 or is this for much later?

jessica
Galaga
Galaga

Post by jessica »

MAybe .NET 5 is a better choice?
I have little experience with it but the goal is to be cross platform. I don't know about WPF which is used in romcenter.

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Post by Wanderer »

jessica wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:19 pm
I don't know about WPF which is used in romcenter.
WPF support in .NET 5.0 is Windows-only.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answer ... linux.html