fbclient.dll will not load

Get help with running Romcenter 3 here. Please do not post roms requests or illegal links, posts will be deleted.

Moderator: Wanderer

Forum rules
No roms requests or illegal links
impius

fbclient.dll will not load

Post by impius »

Hello,

I cannot get romcenter to work, when it loads it says Can't load library: C:\Program Files\Romcenter\fbclient.dll . Is this a bug? The fbclient file is in the directory listed.

Any ideas?

Thanks

RomCenter
Author
Author

Re: fbclient.dll will not load

Post by RomCenter »

You're the first to report this problem. Try to uninstall and then install again...
Eric - RomCenter developer
Report bugs here.

impius

Post by impius »

I tried multiple times, even tried older version...no luck....running XP

Bobthwarts

Post by Bobthwarts »

I am having the same issue... Can't load library: C:\Program Files\Romcenter\fbclient.dll

running an older xp only sp2 on it

RomCenter
Author
Author

Post by RomCenter »

Maybe the problem is linked with the msvcr71.dll
do you have this file anywhere on your system ?

It is no more provided, as I thought it was no more needed. Maybe I was wrong...
Eric - RomCenter developer
Report bugs here.

hectorscout

Post by hectorscout »

I'm having the same problem. Running updated xp. A search for msvcr71.dll didn't turn anything up...

guest121212

Post by guest121212 »

Had same problem,installed .net framework now it works .I don't know where it says the required specs for romcenter so i didn't know it was needed.

rcuser007

Post by rcuser007 »

I am having the same problem. Currently using XP Pro SP3. Romcenter 3.58 installed. I reinstalled twice to no avail. Anyone know what version of the .net framework was required to get it working for the above user?

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Post by Wanderer »

rcuser007 wrote:Anyone know what version of the .net framework was required to get it working for the above user?
This seems to be a VS.NET 2003 dll (.NET 2.0 probably). If you have it lying around, i suggest you try to install it but if not, have in mind it's a large file to download so if you don't have the bandwidth, it might be better if you try downloading a smaller package. Google search revealed this thread which in turn revealed this thread, in which you can find the file to download in the "downloads" tab. I haven't tried it personally but it's worth to try it out (14386K to be downloaded).

rcuser007

Post by rcuser007 »

Wanderer,

Thanks for the reply. I cannot install the package linked http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/KB932 ... easeId=762 because I do not have the prerequisite packages needed to update.

I get the error:

"The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer Service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch."

I will give .net framework 2.0 a try and report back.

Cheers.

rcuser007

Post by rcuser007 »

Hello again,

So, instead of installing the standalone .net 2.0 redistributable, I decided to check Windows Update and see what optional components were available. Keep in mind, I have no previous .net frameworks installed. Presented as a optional component was:

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86
Date last published: 6/23/2009
Download size: 69.2 MB
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 is a full cumulative update that contains many new features building incrementally upon .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, and includes cumulative servicing updates to the .NET Framework 2.0 and .NET Framework 3.0 subcomponents. The .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update provides important application compatibility updates. This combined Service Pack and update is applicable to systems running a version of .NET prior to version 2.0, or to systems that have no prior version of .NET framework installed.
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=133335

So, I took a chance, downloaded, installed and rebooted. Low and behold the fbclient.dll error went away!

Seems to be working well now. Not sure what exactly is included in these .net frameworks and what versions are required to fix this problem. Glad to have it solved. Thanks!

Wanderer
Board master
Board master

Post by Wanderer »

rcuser007 wrote:So, I took a chance, downloaded, installed and rebooted. Low and behold the fbclient.dll error went away!

Seems to be working well now. Not sure what exactly is included in these .net frameworks and what versions are required to fix this problem. Glad to have it solved. Thanks!
Great. A 70 MB download to install a 340KB DLL! :o :)

Anyway, it's nice it worked. Indeed the .NET 3.5 redistributable is cumulative, unlike the .NET 4.0 one.